Friday, May 19, 2017

Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru - A Great Torch bearer

Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru - A Great Torch bearer
(1894-1983)

Kannada book published on the occasion of 13th year completion of Haridasa Sahitya Mahavidyalaya. 
In Kannada : Harati G Prahlad
Translated in English by : Smt. Savitha Rao
Verified by : T.V.Sathya Narayanan

***

Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru


Note: Harati G Prahlad, founder of Haridasa Sahitya Mahavidyalaya is the Guru in the conversation below. 

Sishya: Guruji, please enlighten me with a devotional story.

Guru: The life histories of devotees of the Lord are all enlightening devotional stories. About whom you want to hear?

Sishya: Please enlighten me with a story of any of our Yati or Haridasa.

Guru: Have you heard about a place called DevarayanaDurga?

Sishya: Yes, I have been there.

Guru: What did you see there?

Sishya: I had the darshan of Narasimha Swami Temple situated up & down the hill.

Guru: That’s all? Did you notice anything else nearby?

Sishya: No. I just had visited those temples.


Guru:  Down the hill, did you noticed a name board “Dasa Koota”?

Sishya: No I have not seen Guruji. Please tell me more about that.

Guru: This “Dasa Koota” was established by Tande Muddu Mohana Vittala Dasaru in 1900. Tande Muddu Mohana Vittala Dasaru was mentioned by a title “Parama Priya”.

Sishya: Guruji, please tell me more about “Dasa Koota” organization.

Guru: Dasaru belongs to Sri Vijaya Dasaru parampara. After getting initiation as “Hari Dasa” he embraced the three important tenets - Gnana, Bakthi and Vairagya and led a life on an Aparoksha Gnani. Every day he used to chant HariKathamruthaSara. Sri Vijaya Dasaru is his ancestor.

Sishya: Please let me know more about Sri Vijaya Dasaru Parampara.

Guru: Sri Vyasarajaru gave Ankitha and Dasa Dheeksha to Purandara Dasa and to Kanaka Dasa. This Dasa Parampara continued for many years. To revitalize this lineage, Sri Hari’s avatara Sri Veda Vyasa gave ankitha to this Chikkalaparavi dasa (Vijaya Dasaru) at Vyasakashi through Sri Purandara dasaru in his dream at sannidhana of Sri Kasi Vishwanatha. Purandara Dasa gave him the ankita as “Vijaya Vittala”.

The life style of Vijaya dasaru completely changed once he woke up from the dream. He had come to Kashi to end his life because of depression. As soon as he woke up, he did Sri Hari’s smarane, took bath in the Ganga and worshipped Kasi Vishwanatha. He started singing spontaneously to Lord Rudra as, “Kailasa vasa gaurisha isha, thaila dharae yenthae manasu kodu hariyalli shambo…”

Sishya: How it is possible to sing hymns of Lord as soon as he got dasa dheeksha and ankita from his Guru?

Guru: That is karuna and blessings of a Guru. You asked about his parampara right?

Sishya: Yes. Kindly tell me more about him.

Guru: Vijaya Dasaru who got his ankita in his dream wanted to grow his lineage and extend his dasa parampara. So he himself gave ankita to many deserving people.

Sishya: To whom all he gave ankita?

Guru: Vijaya Dasaru first gave ankita to
  1. Gopala Dasaru – as Gopala Vittala
  2. Venu Gopala Vittala Dasaru  - as Venu Gopala Vittala
  3. Mohana Vittala Dasaru – as Mohana Vittala
  4. Hayavadhana Vittala Dasaru – as Hayavadhana Vittala
Like this he gave ankita to different people.

Sishya: Guruji, what do you mean by ankita?

Guru: Ankita means pada-naama (signature/created by).  As you know, Lord Sri Hari is dwelling in our heart. Ankita is a name given to Sri Hari who is dwelling in the heart.

Sishya: How to give ankita?

Guru: There are four different ways to give ankita.
  • We can get ankita from a guru who has come in the parampara. Like our ParamaPriya and Sri Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru.
  • We can get ankita through dream (swapna labdha). For example, Sri Vijaya Dasaru gave to Bheemavva.
  • Self proclaiming ankita, by keeping a name which is dear to a person and start writing the songs (dasaru padas). For example, Sangeetha Vasudevachar, Thyagaraja.
  • Fourth one is sakshath, Sri Hari appears in the dream and gives the ankita or by other means of communication through Sri Hari. For example for Sri Jagannatha Dasaru, Sri Hari gave ankita from water written on a wooden plank.
The above told are the different ways of giving ankita.

Sishya: Guruji, you have not yet told the parampara of Sri Vijaya Dasaru.

Guru: I was about to tell that.
  1. Vijaya Dasaru
  2. Venu Gopala Vittala Dasaru
  3. Vyasa Vittala Dasaru
  4. Raghupathy Vittala Dasaru
  5. Bhuvaraha Raghupathy Vittala Dasaru
  6. Srinidhi Vittala Dasaru
  7. Sripathi Vittala Dasaru
  8. Tandhae Sripathi Vittala Dasaru
  9. Srivara Vittala Dasaru
  10. Sri Muddu Mohana Vittala Dasaru
  11. Sri Tandhae Muddu Mohana Vittala Dasaru. He is “Subbaraya Dasaru” who earned the title as “Parama Priya”.
Sishya: Did the parampara grew after Sri Tandhae Muddu Mohana Vittala Dasaru? Please throw some light about that.

Guru: Subbaraya Dasaru gave ankita to 1165 people.

Sishya: In this 1165 people can you please tell me, who is the person who got the first ankita and the person who got last one?

Guru: The first person to get ankita is “Pranapathy Vittala Dasaru” also called as “Sesha Dasaru”. The last one to get ankita is “Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru” from Mysoru.

Sishya: Please tell me more about the dasaru who got the ankita at the last. If we know about him, then it is equivalent of knowing all the dasas of the paramapara.

Guru: I will give information upto my knowledge and capabilities. Dasaru was employed in government as sub-overseer. His job position demanded him to travel to different places quite frequently. When he was staying in Chitra Durga, he got the friendship of Sri Srinivasa Rao and Sri Ramachandara Rao. Through them, he came to know about Subbaraya Dasaru in Deva Rayana Durga. From that day onwards he had a longing wish to get dasa dheeksha and ankita from Subbaraya Dasaru. Around 1940, he got ankita as “Guru Govinda Vittala Dasa” along with his blessings. That was the last meeting of Subbaraya Dasaru and Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru. Subbaraya Dasaru attained hari pada on Sri Rama Navami that year.

After he (M.R. Govinda Rao) got ankita as Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru, he started living a life of a hari dasa. Every day he used to perform snana sandhyavandhana, devaru pooja, japa, tapa and bhajans. Moreover he used to give discourses and stories from Srimad Bhagavatham and Puranas to his mother and his kids sitting near the tulsi plant (tulsi maada).

Sishya: How many songs he has written so far?

Guru: Guru Govinda Vittala dasaru has written more than 700 songs. All the songs take inspiration and roots from dwaita siddantha and reflects the concept of gradation/ hierarchy (tara tamya) in it.

Sishya: What do you mean by gradation?

Guru: Gradation means ranking of devatas from top to bottom as per their qualities and status. A person who is worshipping Lord Sri Hari, along with his worship, they do the worship of parampara (parivara) devathas like, Rama devi, Brahma, Vayu, Garuda, Sesha, Rudra, Tulsi, Sowparni, Vaaruni, Indra in their order of hierarchy. The hierarchical order of the devathas has been defined already, and Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru has written his songs based on this hierarchy.

Sishya: Did Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru gave ankita to other dasas like his Guru Subbaraya Dasaru?

Guru: Yes. He has given ankita for around 265 dasas. Everytime he gives ankita he has written one devara nama in that name. Along with these 265 songs, he has written songs regarding hierarchy of devatas, hierarchy of yatis (saints) and hierarchy of hari dasas. In all, he has written more than 700 songs.

Sishya: Apart from this, is there any other achievements made by your guru?

Guru: Yes of course.
  1. He has done yatra to Badrinath Dham three times. On his first visit he has covered the yatra of 500-600 km by foot. Isn't this a great achievement?
  2. He has translated 10 Upanishads in Kannada language
  3. He has gone on pilgrimage to several places and published small books describing the greatness of such places for the benefit of other hari baktas.
  4. Under the patronage of “All India Haridasa Federation” he has conducted Sri Purandara Dasa Aradhana in different places.
  5. He has performed the great “Bruhuti Sahasra” sacrifice (yaga).
  6. He was truly devoted to Sri Madhwacharya’s Sarvamoola Grantas. He has performed Sri Sudha Mangalam three times.
  7. In Mysore Krishnamurthypuram, the place where dasaru lived, he has consecrated an idol of Pandarapur Sri Vittala in his house. The house looks like a mini Pandarapuram.
  8. He has translated the Sanskrit works like Sundarakanda, Ramayana, Manusmruthi written by I.G. (or Aigee) Swamigalu in kannada.
  9. He has written a book called “Thirtha Kshetra Mala” similar to Sri Vadiraja’s “Thirtha Prabhandham”.
  10. At an age of 89, in the year 1983, on Marghaseera Krishna Dwadashi, he attained the lotus feet of Lord Sri Hari in Anandapuram with his devout prayers to Ananthanada Kadareesha.
Sishya: Guruji when did you meet him? Tell me more about that.

Guru: I met him at his very old age and during my younger days. It is all Lord Sri Hari’s blessing that we could meet each other. He was very simple man and quite normal like any one of us. But he was a great gnani and was very knowledgeable. Whoever came to him with some problem, he used to pray to Sri Hari Vayu Gurugalu, on behalf of the devotee.  After that, he will present a suitable remedy to the devotees asking them to perform parayana, bhajans or seva. The devotees were overwhelmed by his remedies as their problems got solved. In a short time, dasaru became very famous. Devotees started having great respect and belief in him. Slowly people started believing in haridasa paramapara. If we consider “ParamaPriya’s” time as 5th generation of dasa sahitya, Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru belonged to 6th generation of dasa sahitya.

Dasaru is a staunch devotee of Lord Sri Hari. I will explain with an example. Once, Dasaru wanted to dig a well in his house. The work started, but the masons found only lime stones in the place but no water. The workers gave up their effort and told it is not possible to find water in this place and stopped the work. Immediately dasaru did prayers to Sri Hari, he got the blessings of Madanur Sri Vishnu Thirtha. He vowed to keep Sri Vishnu Thirtha’s name to the well. Dasaru performed bhoomi pooja once again and commenced the work of digging the well. The workers would have dug upto 4 to 5 feet they started getting sweet water in the well. Dasaru named the well as “Vishnu Thirtham”. For the past twenty years water is taken from this well to perform devaru pooja.

Even though he is not an aparoksha gnani, there is no doubt that he is a great gnani and quite knowledgeable. He very well knew how to perform sadhana towards Sri Hari. He has performed japa of great mantras. There is no doubt that he is called as a great Torch Bearer.

Sishya: How many books were written by Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru ?

Guru: Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru has done translation of several Sanskrit works in Kannada language. It is not correct to consider all these works as his books? Apart from the Kannada translation of Dasha Upanishad (Bhamini Shatpathi Sytle), he has written many other books. All his books have been published under the title “Guru Krupa Grantha Mala”.

Sishya: Like this how many books have been published?

Guru: Around 30 books have been published so far in his name.

Sishya: Guruji, can you please tell more about your relationship with Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru?

Guru: As I told you before it was all because of Sri Hari’s wish, we both met each other. Around 1974-75, my father’s friend Anantayya got few Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru books to our home. I too browsed through all his devara naama books. One day I went to meet him at his home. But I could not find his house. I, along with my friend HP Prahlad and another person stayed in a hotel that night. Next day morning we again started the search for his house. But we could not find the house and I was disappointed. I was praying to Lord Sri Hari to show some way. At that time an old Iyer (Smarta) Brahmin cladded in white kurta along with a small girl was approaching near an eatery “Ballal”. Once I saw him I felt like Lord Rudra had come to help me. I decided to ask the address to him and convinced myself that if I get the address I will meet dasaru else I will head towards Thirumukkudalu. I went and asked the old Brahmin for the address.

The old Brahmin agreed to show the house and we got into an auto immediately. As soon as we reached dasaru house, I got down to give the money and the moment I turned to thank the old Brahmin, to my surprise, he and the small girl had disappeared. Anyway I was happy that I could reach Guru Govinda vittala dasaru house. I went inside the house and met him. I was very happy that day. Like this, our first meeting took place on Aashada Sukla Dwiteethya in 1974.

Sishya: How you started developing belief in him?

Guru: I had read his books and songs and felt very happy about its divinity. But my father did not give permission to meet him those days. Like this 4 to 5 years passed by. One day to my surprise, dasaru came to our house, did pooja for Sri Vittala and initiated (upadesha) me with Sri Krishna Mantra. From that day onwards my respect towards him grew manifold.

Sishya: Did you find any difference in the days before he did the upadesha and after that?

Guru: I am not able to bring out anything specific but for sure there were some changes.

Sishya: You started this vidhyalaya as per Dasaru’s advice or someone else?

Guru: Why are you asking this question now?

Sishya: I too wanted to take this path of Dasa Sahitya. That is why I asked just to know how you started this vidhyalaya.

Guru: My parents are the main reason to open this vidhyalaya. After them it is because of Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru. I will explain a bit, in 1980 with my father’s permission I travelled to Mysuru to meet dasaru. We reached there around 5 in the evening. We did not want to walk further and we took an auto to one person’s house. It belonged to Dr. Varadaraja Rao. He welcomed us and made arrangements to take rest for sometime in the living room of his house.  Around 7.30 we came out took another auto and headed towards KM. Puram. On the day I asked Dr. Varadaraja Rao about Dasaru. I asked who he is. Where he is working?  Dr. Varadaraja Rao replied, that dasaru is holding a very responsible position in Haridasa Sahitya Department in Mysore University. Dasaru is a Doctorate and has done Ph.D. in Hari Dasa Sahitya. After hearing to this, I was curious to find out what is there to get doctorate in Dasa Sahitya and I decided to study the same.

I was able to start this vidhyalaya with the help of whatever my father had earned in his days. I wanted to learn for myself and also help others learn. As a result in the year January 1996, I decided to start the dasa sahitya vidhyalaya. By that time my father, mother, Varadaraja Rao and Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru everyone had attained haripada. Even though no one was there, I developed courage to start the vidhyalaya and was successful. Now many years have passed by and I believe that because of the blessings of the people whom I mentioned above, I was able to start and develop the vidhyalaya to this extent.

Sishya: Please share your experiences after the vidhyalaya was opened.

Guru: I had to face lot of obstacles and problems after opening the vidhyalaya. I had to allocate time for setting the question paper, to conduct exams and to distribute the certificates for the successful candidates. After the initial phase settlement, now everything is going on smoothly to a greater extent.

Sishya: Do not mistake me to ask this question to you. Do you have any plan how and by whom this vidhyalaya will be functioning, after your period?

Guru:  Nothing wrong in asking such type of questions. “Jatasya Maranam Druvam” meaning whoever born has to die one or the other day. But I have never thought about this so far now.  Till my last breathe I will work and live for this vidhyalaya and help the students in their studies and collect information for them. After this it is all in the hands of Rayaru and Rajaru.

Sishya: What is your opinion about Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru?

Guru: All this time, I was telling and speaking about him only. Didn’t I? I strongly believe this vidhyalaya is running even now through his blessings. I will tell that even if he is not present, he is the person who is running the vidhyalaya.

Sishya: I am really sorry, in the name of asking about Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru, I had asked about your personal life. Kindly excuse me.

Guru: It is alright. You asked only normal and practical questions and I answered them. Nothing to feel sorry about it.

Sishya: I still have doubt or question whether Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru was capable and competent enough to give blessings?

Guru: I do not have answer to your question. If you believe, do as I suggest.  Chant his name for 108 times daily and you will come to know about his greatness.

Sishya: Ok Guruji. I will do as you said. How did he got that much power and competency?

Guru: If you believe me and have respects towards Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru, Iisten to my words. Dasaru is a great devotee of Sri Sri 1008 Vadirajaru.  Sri Vadirajaru has executed many works / tasks through Dasaru; and by that Dasaru got lot of credits and respects from the people. That is how Dasaru got that much power and capability. Listen to me, you chant his name, be devoted towards him, definitely good things will happen in your life.

Sishya: I have not seen him. Please show me or guide me how to do bakthi towards him.

Guru: Every day when you perform Gayathri mantra japa, along with that chant his name and perform japa. Rajaru will bless you through Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru.

Sishya: Ok Guruji. As you have told I will perform japa of his name every day. After discussing with you so much with questions and answers, I now feel I must also get ankita for myself.

Guru: Good. Please do prarthana in Dasaru, he will come and bless you.

Sishya: No Guruji. I want you to give ankita for me.

Guru: I am not that competent enough to give ankita to you. Please go in search of some other eligible person.

Sishya: No guruji. I humbly request you to guide me.

Guru:  Have belief in Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru and keep going.

Krishnarpanamastu.

Question and Anwers:

1) Who is the first haridasa in Guru Govinda Vittala lineage? What is the name of his parampara? What is the reason for such a name?
Kodabalae Govinda Dasaru. He used to have huge golden rings similar to kodabalae as earings.

2) Name the parents of Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru?
Sri Raghunatha Rao and Srimathi Lakshmi Bai.

3) Mention the birth date of Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru.
Tuesday 28th August 1894, Sravana Bagula Dwadashi

4) Who blessed Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru’s mother when dasaru was in her womb?
Sri Ibrahimpura Appaavaro. The lines from the song “Abinamipae Maata Pitharkae” is a proof for the same.

5) Why Govinda Rayaru left his paternal aunt’s house where he was staying with his mother?
One day Govinda Rayaru refused to eat day old food and requested his paternal aunt to serve him with fresh food which is cooked that day. For that his aunt replied like “If you want fresh food find another house for it”.

6) Who gave refuge to Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru and his mother? Describe the environment of that house.
Navarathna Rao Rayaru. His house was filled with religious activities like bhajans, group chanting (parayana), discourse (pravachana).

7) During the school days of Govinda Rayaru, which plays he has acted and what was his role?
Veni  Samhara - Ashwattama, Merchant of Venice – Shylock

8) What was the occupation of Govinda Rayaru? What was the advantage of that job? How did he make use of it?
He was in government job as sub-overseer in public service department. Due to the nature of the job he was transferred to different cities/towns/villages quite often. He would make a pilgrimage to all the religious places nearby.

9) How many kids Govinda Rayaru had?
He had two daughters Tulasamma and Krishnaveni and 4 sons.

10) Who gave ankita to Govinda Rayaru? Name the lineage of his guru?
Thandae Muddu Mohana Vittala Dasaru gave ankita to Govinda Rayaru. He belonged to Sri Venu Gopala Vittala Dasaru Lineage whose guru in turn was Sri Vijaya Dasaru.

11) Name the ankita given to Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru’s Mother and Wife. Who gave ankita to them?
Mother – Bharateesha Priya Vittala
Wife – Lakshmeesha Vittala
Given by Sri Uragadri Vyasa Vittala Dasaru

12) Guru Govinda Vittala Dasaru published a book similar to a book “Karnataka Baktha Vijayam“ published by Belur Keshava Dasaru. What is the name of the book?
Hari Baktha Vijaya ( 7 Volumes).

***


3 comments:

  1. I think dasaru had 4 sons and 5 daughters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is Rug veda priya vittala..
    He has written ...ankitha padya...rukveda priya vittala...
    Sath gunarnavane...

    ReplyDelete